Scotland 0-7 Netherlands: Scotland's women taught Dutch lesson
Beerensteyn puts the Dutch two-up (image source: SNS Group via BBC Sport)

Scotland were dealt a reality check at the Toni Macaroni Stadium as they suffered a disappointing 7-0 defeat to the Netherlands.

After qualifying for the Euros next summer, there was a great deal of optimism going into the game but defensive lapses and balls over the top which weren't dealt with cost Scotland.

The home side were once again missing Rachel Corsie and Kim Little through injury, with Jennifer Beattie also unavailable for the game in Livingston. They deployed the 4-4-1-1 formation that had proved so successful in Iceland – with just a couple of changes from that game's starting lineup with Shannon Lynn playing in goal and Ifeoma Dieke captaining the side in defence.

This was Scotland's first game since that historic night in Iceland when Scotland won the game 2-1, celebrating qualification for their first major tournament. Clearly, over the next months, the series of friendlies they will play against the best countries in Europe will be key in their preparation.

Evans A Threat

Scotland were set up to try and contain the Dutch and catch them on the break and Lisa Evans had the game's opening chance in the second minute when she latched onto a long ball forward, but she could only shoot wide.

But soon Scotland were provided with a glimpse of what the game would turn into with Lineth Beerensteyn breaking behind the defence, picking out Vivianne Miedema who span her marker, but she was denied by a good save by Lynn.

Vivianne Miedema scored twice for the Dutch (image source: VL-Images/Contributor via Getty Images)

Whilst Scotland had dominated the early stages, soon the Netherlands were getting on the ball more often and were looking more threatening. Danielle van de Donk's squared ball to Renate Jansen threatened to open the scoring once more, but Jansen was again denied by a strong save from Lynn.

Scotland still posed a threat going forward and had a great chance when Evans stole possession from Mandy van der Berg and broke towards the Dutch box. The recovering defenders forced her wide but the Bayern Munich forward didn't panic and set up Caroline Weir on the edge of the box yet she blasted her first-time effort over the bar as the game remained goalless.

Miedema breaks the deadlocks

In the 33rd minute, the Netherlands took the lead. Miedema shot from about 25 yards out and it looked like Lynn would make the save, but her shot took two deflections – the most significant from Joelle Murray – and the ball flew into the top corner. Soon after, Jansen could have made it 2-0 but she scuffed her effort wide at the far post.

Late in the first half, Scotland had a couple of chances to equalise with Jane Ross' header being saved by Loes Guerts before the Manchester City striker shot wide from close range.

Visitors take control after ending first-half strongly

Then late in the first half, the Dutch scored two goals that knocked the wind out of Scotland's sails. A cross-field pass from Kirsty Smith was intercepted by Beerensteyn and with no other options, she ran into the Scottish half before blasting the ball past Lynn. And with Scotland almost waiting for the half-time whistle, Anouk Dekker had a shot from the edge of the box which rebounded off the crossbar and Miedema was there to head the ball into the empty net.

Early in the second half, Miedema came close to completing her hat-trick when Kika van Es' cross picked the forward out, but her header just went over. Scotland also had a decent chance which would have seen them pull a goal back when Evans' quick feet made herself room on the edge of the box but her curled shot went over.

Orange Lionesses Roar

But then the Dutch scored a fourth. Shanice van de Sanden's cross picked out Renée Slegers at the far post and the Linköpings' forward forced the ball over the line despite Dieke's efforts to block.

Soon after it was 5-0 when van de Sanden's shot was parried by Lynn and Ellen Jansen reacted quickest to score. Lynn was injured in making the save and was soon replaced by Scotland's captain Gemma Fay.

And it was Fay who was at fault for the Netherlands' sixth. Emma Mitchell missed her interception and Fay came to the edge of the box to collect but only parried the ball into the path of van de Sanden who blasted the ball into the empty net.

In the 85th minute, the Dutch scored their seventh and final goal, when Jackie Groenen used quick feet to find room in a crowded area before placing the ball past Fay.

Late on, the introduction of Fiona Brown and Erin Cuthbert improved Scotland's attacking play with Brown in particular finding room behind the Dutch defence. Each of the substitutes had Scotland's best chances in the second half with Brown's powerful shot just going wide and Cuthbert's deflected effort going over, yet it wasn't to be and they went down to a heavy defeat.