Sky Bet Championship round-up: Automatic promotion candidates share the spoils at the Liberty whilst Rotherham boost their survival hopes 
Photo by VisionHaus via Getty Images 

The second tier boasted just half a fixture list during midweek, as the respective teams caught up with fixtures that were previously postponed due to COVID-19, however, the matches had potential to re-shape both ends of an exciting Sky Bet Championship division. 

Rotherham United sit below the dotted line but left the Riverside Stadium with a vital three points in their fight against relegation. 

The Swans shared the points with fellow promotions hopefuls Brentford, and South Wales rivals Cardiff City also played out a draw at Oakwell, where Mick McCarthy was unable to record a win on his debut as Bluebirds boss. 

Middlesbrough 0-3 Rotherham United

Rotherham ensured they didn't remain five points adrift from safety after a convincing 3-0 away victory over Neil Warnock's Middlesbrough side. 

After boasting an impressive home record this season at the Riverside, Boro were condemned to a third consecutive defeat at home - It's a poor run that has also seen them score zero goals in. 

Boro have been knocking on the door of the play-offs for the majority of the campaign, but were drubbed by the Millers on home soil this Wednesday evening.

Matty Crooks opened the scoring just two minutes before half-time with a delightfully taken edge of the box strike. 

The midfielder waited for the ball to drop following a deflection and met it perfectly, as it nestled into the bottom corner past Boro stopper Marcus Bettinelli

The Millers' second of the evening came from the penalty spot after a melee inside in penalty area following a set-piece. 

Michael Smith had the responsibility resting on his shoulders, and he dually obliged by slotting home, sending Bettinelli the wrong way to double Rotherham's lead. 

In second-half additional time matters got worse for the hosts when a rampant Rotherham added yet more gloss to the scoreline. 

Debutant Ryan Giles came on after 88 minutes and it took just four minutes for the Wolverhampton Wanderers loanee to tally his first goal in a Rotherham colours. 

Giles broke away from the defence and his shot was attempted to be blocked by the Boro backline, but squirmed underneath Bettinelli to round off a poor performance for Warnock's men. 

Swansea City 1-1 Brentford 

An automatic promotion showdown between two of the division's best commenced at the Liberty Stadium, however, both sides had to settle for a share of the points, placing in second and fourth respectively. 

The Swans began the day in the top two and will have been eyeing an even larger gap, but made that challenge harder for themselves with 21 minutes left on the clock. 

Defender Kyle Naughton was dismissed for a second bookable offence, therefore tilting the advantage into the Bees corner and it's one they took. 

Tariqe Fosu opened the scoring after 74 minutes, after meeting a beautiful Henrik Dalsgaard cross. 

The second-half substitute rose highest inside the area and guided his header beyond Freddie Woodman to give Brentford the lead with just 15 minutes to spare. 

A swift response was needed and was fashioned by new signing Conor Hourihane

The Irishman was a wanted man by a host of Championship clubs, but Swansea was the destination for the Aston Villa loanee, and he showed his quality by bagging the equaliser in his league debut after 78 minutes. 

A free-kick delivery from out wide by Hourihane deceived the Bees defence and rippled the net to share to spoils in South Wales. 

Coventry City 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday 

The Sky Blues bridged a 10-point gap above the struggling Owls with a comfortable home display. 

Back-to-back defeats for Mark Robins' men had left them looking over their shoulders, but they once again ease the pressure after keeping a clean sheet and firing two past Wednesday to climb to 17th. 

It was the visitors first Championship fixture since New Year's Day and the managerless side looked out of shape on the evening. 

A fine-tuned ball from Callum O'Hare set Viktor Gyokeres on his way, but despite the striker still having work to do, he slotted away his first goal for Coventry, to gift them the advantage midway through the second-half. 

Wednesday's woes piled up in additional time when the ball hit their net for the second time of the evening. 

Substitute Jamie Allen also scored his first goal of the season to seal three points for the hosts. 

More work from the lively O'Hare assisted the goal, as the winger's mazy run led the ball into the path of Allen, whose first time shot found the net. 

Barnsley 2-2 Cardiff City 

Mick McCarthy is back managing in the English game and takes over the reigns of Cardiff. 

The early tell signs will indicate to him that it's not going to be an easy job to pick up the Bluebirds, who before the fixture had lost six successive matches in all competitions. 

With Barnsley looking to extend an impressive six game unbeaten run, it took 20 minutes for Mads Juel Andersen broke the deadlock at Oakwell - which came after a disallowed Cauley Woodrow header for the Tykes in the early exchanges. 

Great credit has to go Dominik Frieser's way after a superb delivery into the unmarked defender. Andersen was afforded too much space and easily headed home the first of the afternoon for Barnsley. 

Seven minutes after the interval it looked a real uphill battle for McCarthy and Cardiff, when Woodrow headed home Alex Mowatt's free kick to double their advantage. 

The visitors fought their way back into the game just six minutes later through Sheyi Ojo, as the winger stretched out a foot to guide Josh Murphy's powerful strike into the night. 

10 minutes later the Bluebirds were rewarded for their persistence and not giving up. Striker Kieffer Moore is far and away Cardiff's biggest threat, and he rose at the back post to head his ninth goal of the season home. 

It was all set up for a grand stand finish, however, both sides saw the game out and settled for a point each - one that leaves them both marooned firmly in mid table. 

Bristol City 2-1 Huddersfield Town 

A swift first-half brace from Famara Diedhiou guided Bristol City towards a third win in five, which is one that aids their Championship play-off hopes. 

A third win in five league matches moves the Robins up to 8th and just three points behind the top-six. 

After just 22 minutes, the Senegalese international stuttered before rounding Terriers goalkeeper Ryan Schofield and slotting home to open the scoring at Ashton Gate

Just four minutes later the frontman was at it again, when he added his second of the evening. 

Kasey Palmer's perfect through ball into the 18-yard box set Diedhiou free, and he made no mistake by arrowing the ball home into the bottom left. 

Huddersfield were allowed a route back into the game via Juninho Bacuna, after some neat work just before the hour mark. 

Isaac Mbenza's neat back heel fell into the path of Bacuna who drilled home to half to deficit, however, the Robins held on for a big three points. 

Millwall 0-0 Watford

A fifth 0-0 draw of the season for Millwall ends new Hornets manager Xisco Munoz's 100 per cent start as manager. 

The Den unsurprisingly played host to yet another draw involving the Lions, with it now being the 12th they have recorded in 25 league matches this season. 

The game could have been different for both sides, had they have taken their first-half chances. 

Lions defender Jake Cooper had a headed effort ruled out for offside just before the break, and he also came close moments before when another headed chance cannoned off the woodwork to deny him. 

Tom Cleverley and Ismaila Sarr had the pick of the chances for the visitors and both came close, but ultimately they couldn't break the deadlock. 

Munoz's side may see the result as a missed opportunity, however, they still occupy third position and remain within touching distance of Swansea after their draw with Brentford.