Classic Match: Burnley 2-0 Wigan Athletic
(GettyImages - Chris Brunskill)

Ashley Barnes opened the scoring for Burnley in the 22nd minute before Michael Kightly added a second in the 42nd minute.

The Clarets won comfortably against Wigan Athletic to secure a return to the Premier League for the first time since 2010.

  • The Build-Up

Burnley were high-flyers in the 2013/14 season and were looking to secure promotion with a win against the Latics on Easter Monday. This was their 4th consecutive season in the Sky Bet Championship.

This game held the highest attendance that season with 19,125 at Turf Moor. It was a special occasion for Burnley supporters who were hoping that their special day would end on a positive.

The Clarets sat in 2nd place hoping to chase league leaders Leicester City to the final day. Derby County sat in 3rd place, eight points below Burnley.

Wigan were in 5th place, hoping to secure a play-off spot with a game in hand.

  • The Match

Sean Dyche kept the same team that started against Blackpool the week before.

The line-up consisted of Tom Heaton, Kieran Trippier, Ben Mee, David Jones, Michael Duff, Jason Shackell, Kightly, Dean Marney, Barnes, Danny Ings and Scott Arfield. 

Burnley started well and opened the scoring just after 20 mins through Barnes. It was a lovely team goal that started with captain Heaton.

Heaton passed it out to Duff who clipped the ball to Arfield. Arfield passed it to Jones who found Kightly. Kightly played it to Ings who flicked a through ball to Marney who played a low cross to Barnes who fired home.

After Barnes' first goal at Turf Moor, Kightly got the second just before half-time with a direct free-kick from a narrow angle which deflected past Wigan shot-stopper Ali Al-Habsi.

The scenes at the final whistle were a sight to behold as Burnley had officially confirmed their place in the Premier League.

  • What happened next?

Burnley were promoted to the Premier League after beating play-off hopefuls Wigan with two games left to play.

Burnley won their next game against Ipswich Town and drew on the last day against Reading in a 2-2 draw.

The Clarets put up a good fight but couldn't finish above the relegation zone, going straight back to the Championship the following season.

Ings was their top-scorer with 12 goals as the Clarets finished 19th. Ings left Burnley after their relegation and signed for Liverpool where he would stay for four years before joining Southampton permanently after a successful loan spell.

Burnley were promoted as champions in their first season back and have stayed there ever since under Dyche's reign.