With leaders Stockport County and in-form Wrexham both on FA Trophy duty, it was up to fellow promotion rivals Boreham Wood and Chesterfield to put the pressure on with a victory of their own.

The game itself proved to be an affair which lacked quality despite the anticipation in the build-up and took a controversial penalty decision eight minutes from time to bring the game to life.

The first half was one of little chances despite the away side having a lot of the ball but simply lacking the service to the impressive but goalless Joe Quigley. It was Tom Whelan who came closest in the first period after the ball fell to Liverpool-born midfielder from a corner, but he ballooned his effort way over the crossbar to sum up the first half display.

The Wood started the second half in the ascendancy as midfield maestro Josh Rees fired wide after a surging run from midfield, and it was that man Rees again who forced a tremendous save from Spireite's stopper Scott Loach.

This important tie finally came to life just under ten minutes from time as Jacob Mendy-Mendy was adjudged to have handled from a cross despite replays showing the Gambian-Born defender to be outside the box at the time of the offense. The task fell to substitute Akwasi Asante, who confidently rolled the ball past Taye Ashby-Hammond and seemingly secured all three points for the side second in the table.

That was not to be the case though, as a brilliant Rees corner found its way through to substitute Adrian Clifton two minutes from time after he wriggled free from Chesterfield goalscorer Asante to earn a point for his side.

This result means that Boreham Wood and Chesterfield remain fifth and second respectively, but both lose ground to Dave Challinor's Stockport with the playoffs looking a more realistic bet for both outfits.

  • Altrincham 4-0 Eastleigh

Altrincham continued their impressive form from midweek as Ryan Colclough inspired a 4-0 thrashing of Eastleigh. 

Colclough opened the scoring in the 25th minute from the penalty spot after he was felled by veteran defender Andrew Boyce. Four minutes later, and it was two as Colclough this time turned creator, to set up Jordan Hulme to put the Robins two to the good.

Alty started the second half in the same vein as they played the first, as the game's star man added his second, pouncing on a defensive mistake. The tie was well and truly wrapped up three minutes before the hour mark when Dan Mooney notched a fourth for the home side.

This result sees Altrincham move up one place to 14th as the Spitfires drop two places to 17th with both sides set for a relatively stress-free end to the season.

The chances of survival are looking increasingly slim for King's Lynn Town as their winless run stretches to eight games after a home loss to Torquay United.

Experienced striker Danny Wright bagged twice in the space of five minutes midway through the first half to put the relegation-threatened Linnets under pressure but a goal in first half stoppage-time goal from Cameron Hargreaves gave the home side hope going into the second period.

That hope, however, was quickly extinguished as Stephen Duke-McKenna made it three to the away side just seven minutes after the  break. Lynn once again replied through the form of Ipswich Town loanee Brett McGavin, but that was not enough to avoid a 22nd league loss for the home side.

A vital win for the Gulls moves them to within eight points of the playoffs and King's Lynn now sit 13 points from safety.

  • Wealdstone 3-2 Weymouth

Another side staring relegation in the face are Weymouth as they suffered a fourth consecutive defeat at the hands of Wealdstone who move themselves 16 points from the drop.

Rhys Browne was the man on form as Wealdstone made it two wins from two. Despite the end result, it was the Terras who had the better of things in the first half and were rewarded with a goal when Brad Ash converted two minutes into first half injury time. 

A lightning start to the second half from the Stones saw a rapid fire double from the home team as Browne and Jack Cook turned the game on its head.

Former Norwich City youngster Browne gave the home side a cushion when he made it three 15 minutes from time. Josh McQuoid's strike five minutes from time made for a nervy end, but the home fans went home with a smile on their faces.

Nicke Kabamba's last-gasp winner saw manager-less Woking win their first in 10 against a Maidenhead United side that have now won just one in six.

The Cards had the better of the opening exchanges culminating in a missed opportunity for striker Innih Effiong after good work between Rohan Ince and Max Kretschmar.

The second half proved to be scrappy but that won't bother Kabamba or the Woking faithful as George Oakley found the January signing who found the bottom-left corner to send the home fans into raptures.

That key victory moves Woking up three places to 16th as the Magpies drop to 19th, 13 points above the drop.

  • Yeovil Town 0-2 Grimsby Town

Grimsby Town moved themselves into the playoff places with a well-deserved win in Somerset as Yeovil Town's poor form continues as they are now without a win in nine.

It took just nine minutes for Grimsby to take the lead as ex-Huddersfield Town winger Sean Scannell netted his first goal for the Lincolnshire outfit.

The home side came close to equalising when Stockport County loanee Ben Barclay struck the crossbar with a header. 12 minutes into the second half, Tranmere Rovers loanee Emmanuel Dieseruvwe volleyed home from a corner to ensure the three points for the Mariners.

Yeovil's woes continue as it sees the Glovers drop to 14th with their early -season playoffs hopes now a distant memory.

  • Halifax Town 2-1 Dover Athletic

Halifax extended their unbeaten run to five games but it did not come without nervy moments against already relegated Dover.

The bottom side shook The Shay as Alfie Pavey gave the Whites the lead just 10 minutes into the  game with his fifth National League goal of the season.

However, the form table had a say as Billy Waters levelled with a confident turn and finish to have the Shaymen level going into the 15-minute stoppage.

The turnaround was complete with just over 20 minutes to go as Waters, this time the creator, set up Matty Warburton to slot home the winner.

Dover remain on minus four points, rooted to the bottom of the league and will be preparing for life in the National League North next season, while the hopes of promotion are very much in the minds of all those associated with the West Yorkshire club as they remain fourth.









About the author